It’s positive! Yes, those words sound familiar. Sweet words for a new mom. That is the moment filled with excitement, disbelief, shock, amazement, and joy! Congratulations mom!
For some parents, it’s their very first time, and for others a new member more, but the excitement stays the same. I’m Nearly 50 years old and still get excited when I see a baby! Luckily, I have grandchildren to keep me happy! And I love them with all my heart!
When the new baby arrives, it is the feeding part that may be the source of many of your questions and worries, especially if you are a new mom.
When Should You Feed A Newborn?
Every baby is unique. Breast-fed babies eat more frequently than bottle-fed ones, because breast milk is easily digested and empties from the stomach a lot quicker than formula.
Infant and Pediatric feedings Guidelines amazon.com
According to La Leche League International, you should begin nursing your baby within one hour of birth and provide about 8 to 12 feedings daily in the first few weeks of life.
Newborns eat every 2 to 3 hours or 8 to 12 times every 24 hours. Babies might only take in half-ounce per feeding for the first 2 days, but after they will drink usually 1 to 2 ounces at each feeding. This amount increases to 2 to 3 ounces by two weeks of age.
When it’s feeding time, feed your baby even if it means you have to wake him up. It is important for them to gain weight appropriately. As your baby grows he will take in more milk.
How Do I Know My Baby Is Hungry?
Hungry babies might cry, but look for other earlier hunger cues like:
* Bringing hands to their face.
* looking for the nipple with their mouth.
* Making sucking noises.
*Sucking fingers or putting it in their mouths.
* Flexing their arms and legs.
* Fast breathing.
How Do I Know When My Baby Is Full?
* You will notice that your baby turning away from the bottle or nipple.
* When they appearing easily distracted or disinterested in feeding, and starts playing.
* Beginning to cry shortly after feeding starts.
* Extending their fingers, arms, or legs.
* Start sucking slowly.
* Starting to fall asleep.
If you feel your baby did not eat enough, because he was sleepy, try to keep him awake long enough to eat by doing the next:
1. You could talk to your baby.
2. Playing with his feet or hands.
3. Wiping his forehead or feet with a damp cloth.
Once you are happy with your baby’s weight, it’s ok for him to fall asleep before he has finished eating.
When Are You Ready To Bottle-Feed your 0-4-Month-old Baby?
At this stage, your baby should only drink breast milk or formula. Believe it or not, but I saw a lot of funny stuff in baby bottles in my life! It is so sad to see, due to poverty how much some babies struggling! some of them have to be happy with water in the bottle most of the time!
If you reading here, and you can afford to raise your child properly, please take a moment, and thank God. There are so many of these poor little angels dying of hunger. Their mothers can’t even breast-feed them, because there is nothing in there. They too are busy dying of hunger.
Never uses a microwave to warms up your baby’s bottle, instead of warm it up in a bowl of hot water or in a bottle warmer. Microwaving plastics is unhealthy, as the heat can cause chemicals to leak into his formula or breast milk. Check the heat of the milk by squeezing a little on the inside part of your wrist.
Holding your little baby, while feeding him, helps you bond with him. Those moments are priceless! always hold him upright. You will also have a perfect view!
Are You Overfeeding Your 0-4 Month Old Baby?
How you feed your baby from day one, can affect his relationship with food for life. Always pay attention to, and respond to his hunger and fullness cues. Avoid overfeeding your baby, by learning what certain cries mean and how to soothe them.
Helpful Tips for Parents
1. If loved ones offer you help with your baby, do not hesitate to accept it.
2. Newborns are tougher than they look, all you have to do is make them comfortable. Hold them more often, so that they can get used to being held.
3. It’s a smart option to try burping your child, it will prevent intestinal gas later.
4. Allow your baby to fall asleep on their own.
5. Always wash your hands before feeding your baby, to keep your infant infection-free and healthy.
6. Schedule all the immunization shots for your baby, to protect him from any future disease.
7. Always place your baby on his back, this is the best precautions against Sudden Infant Death Syndrome(SIDS).
8. Let the bubbles pop out from the bottle first, before feeding your baby, to minimize the swallowing of air by him.
9. Avoid your baby from injuring himself, by trimming his nails often. Try doing it while they sleep.
10. Never shake your baby! Wow! I saw this so many times! Constant shaking can cause internal bleeding. This is very important for parents to know that and to share this information with family and friends.
11. Don’t play roughly with your newborn! Again something I witnessed. People troughing the baby in the air like a playing ball! We have to see the danger around it. Your baby is fragile, you can kill an infant like that!
12. Avoid smoking near your baby.
13. Never keep stuff toys in your baby’s crib, it may cause allergy and other dangerous health problems.
14. Your baby’s skin is very sensitive to avoid perfumed wipes.
15. It looks very cute when your child holding the bottle himself, but to avoid excess air swallowing, make sure you are holding the bottle.
Enjoy Your Baby
Since day one, you and your little angel became one. You made that commitment right from the start. Your baby is vulnerable and depended on you for appropriate care. They need a lot of stimulation from you.
Let your spouse hold your baby. Ticklish him a bit, talk to him! We should make family time a priority. If we can spend time with our family, we should do it.
There are many people in the world who are only dreaming about love and happiness. Many of them are not able to have a family. Yes, many out there wish to be you. Again, take a moment, and thank God.
Thank you for reading my article. Please feel free to visit my website
Please leave a reply.