Pregnancy is the most beautiful gift from God to women.
We have all heard about depression so many times. For so many years as a young lady, I did not know what it is or means. I thought it was just an adult story when they talk about it.
Well, today as an adult myself, I realize and understand a lot more about this medical illness. For me it is something very sad, I wish nobody ever have to face something like depression.
Depression negatively affects how you feel, the way you think, and how you act. You can go through a lot of physical and emotional problems. This is the worse anyone can feel.
Through the years I’ve learned, that depression is a very sad condition. Severe depression during pregnancy could possibly have a negative impact on your pregnancy.
Nobody wants to be in this position, especially not when you’re pregnant! Well, there is some good news though, and this is the best part of it. It is treatable! There is indeed hope for us! Hope for any mom-to-be.
Depression during pregnancy can make it hard for you to get ready for your baby and take care of your baby after birth. This is why it’s important to treat depression as soon as possible.
Depression vs Pregnancy Symptoms
Symptoms of depression often include changes in sleep, energy levels, loss or gain of appetite, and these are similar to symptoms of pregnancy.
You and your Doctor might attribute these symptoms to your pregnancy rather than depression. Women should always speak to their doctor if they experience any changes in their moods.
We all always focus more on our physical health rather than on our mental health. In the end, both of them are equally important to you and your unborn baby.
Look after yourself before and after your pregnancy. Know the difference between pregnancy and depression symptoms. Never try to treat yourself at home, always speak to a doctor, they know best. Remember, they can help you.
Depression, What Are The Risk Factors?
1. Stress – That feeling of emotional or physical tension, which can come from any thought or event that makes you feel frustrated, angry, or nervous. Can you imagine what that can do to your unborn baby?
2. Anxiety – High levels of anxiety during pregnancy have been associated with an increased risk of developing premature birth and low birth weight.
Up to 10% of pregnant women struggle with panic attacks says “Gina Hassan, Ph.D.”., a licensed psychologist in Berkeley, Calif, who specializes in perinatal health.
3. Poor Social Support – A partner’s and family support is very important for mom and baby during this time. Both parents as well should support each other, to strengthen their bond and their sense of teamwork.
If a woman gets enough support during and after her pregnancy, she may feel a lot happier, healthier, and less stressed. I believe love and kindness heal everything!
4. History Of Depression – Certain things run in the family, that’s what some people believe. Most cases of depression are genetic. Research has also shown, that people with parents or siblings who have depression are up to three times more likely to have the condition.
5. Intimate Partner Violence – Many women all over the world suffer from physical, emotional, sexual, and economic violence by their intimate partners while pregnant, which can lead to severe depression. It is brutal and sad, but true.
Women’s health and lives, in particular, are seriously affected by gender-based violence. Most women going through this violence never talk about it out of fear. Break the silence, speak up, for the sake of both you and your baby’s future!
Signs And Symptoms Of Depression During Pregnancy
- Loss of energy
- Anxiety about your unborn baby
- Worthless feelings, you think you are not capable to be a parent
- Feeling guilty about many things
- You feel sad and depressed all the time
- Weight loss or gain
- Difficulty concentrating, thinking, or making decisions
- Thoughts of suicide or death. Please never allow it to come to this point, seek professional help. Book available at amazon.com
Get help here: “National Parent Helpline”
Why Should Treatment For Depression During Pregnancy Be An Option?
It’s like any condition, if you leave it untreated, it’s getting worst! In this case, you are responsible, not only for your health but also for the life of your unborn baby.
With treatment, you will start living a better and healthier life! You will gain enough energy to enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and the future!
Life will have a meaning to you, the sun will shine again! Somewhere along the road, you will realize that you made the right decision, a decision which will make your future looking a lot brighter than before!
When you look at your child after birth, and you’ll see a happy and healthy baby, you will be glad about that decision you’ve made. You’ll thank God for that moment of positive thinking. That moment changed your whole life for good!
If you think you have depression, do not hesitate, talk to your doctor, and get some treatment. Work with him, to determine the next steps. Don’t miss an appointment.
Remember, You Are Not Alone
Find positive friends, people who make you laugh as my husband does to me, he always makes me laugh! Laughing is good therapy. When you are happy, your unborn baby is also happy.
Focus on people who lift you up! Also, get some good sleep on a regular basis. Try to eat healthily and do some exercise. Go out with your friends, attend pleasant activities or events.
Talk to family and friends. Their love and support will change your situation for the best. For you to be a happy and healthy mom, accept help and support.
Avoid unpleasant company, Sometimes it just appears, but if you can, walk away, you don’t need all the stress which people like this can cause. It looks rude sometimes, but you know all the reasons behind your decision, and that’s all that matters.
Depression should never be a part of our lives, we have to fight back against it. Women are strong, if you can go through all the pain during labor, you can beat depression!
Thank you for reading my article, I hope you found my article helpful. Wishing you all the best. I believe you are a fighter, and you will win this battle. feel free to visit my website.
Please leave a reply